tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 08 08:12:17 2007

Re: from-to

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ter'eS wrote:
>I recall when Okrand came up with the idea of motion
>verbs with inherent objects, and it was kind of a
>mess, relating it to his previous examples.  My rule
>of thumb when old information just can't be reconciled
>with new is to assume that the new has superceded the
>old.

That works from a prescriptive point of view.  For beginners, this is
surely the best approach.

But for the descriptive linguists on the list, this could be evidence of
linguistic change over time (23rd century vs. 24th century usage?).  More
sophisticated interpretations would consider educational, class,
geographical, religious, ethnic, or social (e.g. military vs. civilian)
differences among Klingon speakers - which might themselves evolve over time.

It all depends on which variation of the Klingonist game you like to play. <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level