tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 08 01:11:44 2007

Re: from-to

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>   naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'
>   Can we get to the Great Hall from here? PK

Interestingly, this example seems to contradict Okrand's statements in HQ
7:4. For "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?", one would expect
{naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq wIjaHlaH'a'}. As written, the sentence seems to mean
"Can we go from here in the Great Hall?".

>   juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
>   During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from
>   their homeworld of Kronos into space... SP1

The translation "into" here also appears to contradict Okrand, but is
certainly able to be interpreted with {loghDaq} as an ordinary locative
header rather than as a {-Daq}-marked "direct" object: "while they expand
*in* space" (i.e. while they expand the space holdings which they had
already) rather than "while they expand *into* space" (i.e. from the surface
of their world to space for the first time).

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pab po'wI' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language
Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Advertisement: Roast a Rock Star: watch video interviews with hot music acts
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=809&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://music.ninemsn.com.au/roastarockstar

Back to archive top level