tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 24 16:49:33 2006

Re: Collaborative klingon translation

ja' Qov:

> I don't have opportunity to do the translation myself, but I will
> forward it to the forum where most of the world's Klingon speakers
> congregate. If no one contacts you about it, e-mail me back and I
> will try another way.
>
> At 08:36 AM 9/14/2006, you wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm the creator of a new (1 year old) collaborative translation
>> website ( www.cucumis.org ). Once, somebody asked to add the
>> klingon language, which I did. But this guy didn't do any
>> translation and now, there are about 150 waiting translations for
>> Klingon :) ( http://www.cucumis.org/translation_1_t/browse-
>> translations_w_0_req_|||||32||||.html ).
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jean-Philippe SARDA

Unfortunately, it looks like the bulk of the requests are for
individual words without supporting context.  That's not a good way
to get translations in any language, but Klingon grammar makes it
particularly troublesome because of the extreme mismatch with most
natural languages.

Complete sentences are more amenable to translation.  Entire
paragraphs are even better.  I think single words are not very useful
unless you're trying to build a dictionary.

--
   Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist
     proud member of the Klingon Language Institute since 1995

Back to archive top level