tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 26 07:54:09 2006

Re: ST6 transcription problems

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:

>Chang:  taH pagh. Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' <DaH wa'noS> ...
>    (... that Enterprise fired on Kronos One without provocation.)
>    [taH pagh.  Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta'.]                  (captions)
>[(translator) the enterprise fired on kronos one without
>    provocation]                                        (captions)
>{"The state will show, that Enterprise fired on Kronos One
>   without provocation, the chancellor and his advisors..."}

ghunchu'wI':
>>Contrary to the closed captions, I'm pretty sure that the first two
>>syllables are the word {baHpa'}.

"before it [Kronos One] fired" i.e. "without provocation"?

Very nice.  I've been assuming that {taH} was the suffix {-taH} on a verb
we didn't hear because of the editing.  I wonder if what I heard as <DaH
wa'noS> could be a garbled "Enterprise" (in English).  If so, the whole
line would read:

   baHpa' Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' <'entepray'>
   "before it (could) fire, Enterprise fired on Kronos One"

I don't want to completely dismiss the captions, however, especially their
punctuation.  Except for the usual typographical confusion of /g/ with /q/,
the captions are surprisingly good in ST6.  Notice too that {taH pagh}
means "no one survived".  (I'm not sure what Chang might be referring to
here.  How many aboard Kronos One died because of the torpedo attack [i.e.
{baH} "fire (a torpedo)"]?)

If that is the line, it could also be an allusion to Chang's previous line
during the dinner aboard Enterprise, {taH pagh taHbe'}.  (Does anyone know
whether the courtroom scene was filmed after Okrand was asked to change the
"To be or not to be" line during the shooting of the dinner sequence?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level