tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 24 16:39:33 2006

Re: ST6 transcription problems

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>What did you get for the Warden's lines?  I had trouble understanding him.

For the first, I agree with your transcription of {Qollu'ta'}.

As for the second line, it did sound definitely like {qaghochnISlaH}, not
{qaghochbe'laH}. His pronunciation wasn't brilliant, but it was reasonable,
and the stress pattern was dead-on. (If nothing else, the films might be an
interesting study into the stress patterns of Klingon.) It demonstrates an
interesting phenomenon, though: it uses the prefix trick despite the fact
that there's no overt direct object (maybe promotion of {-vaD} objects to
direct object is a little more free than we first suspected?). In addition,
I don't know what {-nIS} is doing there: "I need to be able to track them
for you"? Maybe he's indirectly requesting permission to track them? If so,
it's not a very Klingon way of doing so.

>I probably was distracted by Chang's beautifully enunciated condescending
>response {DaSovbej'a'} "Are you sure [of that]?".

Those two lines ({DaSovbej'a'? bISuDrup'a'?}) were probably the
best-pronounced Klingon in the film. Exquisite!

>Since QeS has just listened to ST6 again, this is an opportunity to work
>out a few more fragments from Grokh and Koord that I couldn't quite
>make out:

There was much of it that I also was unable to make out; I'll be having
another shot at it. {{:) I intend to purchase ST6 on DVD sometime very soon,
which should allow for better sound quality et cetera. I'll also have more
of a chance to transcribe these things this weekend. Since you've given me
an idea of what to watch for now, I might print out your transcriptions and
use those as guides to when to turn on my {tlhIngan teSDu'}.

There is one that I can definitely help you with already, though:

>Korrd:   <nughoSbej>
>           (We've been betrayed!)
>           [lit. They're approaching us!     (for numaghbej ?)]

Korrd says {nutojbej} "they definitely tricked us". This is one line I had
no problems with, although the first {j} sounds more like a fricative than
an affricate, which might explain why you heard it as {S} rather than {j}.

>Could you make anything of Grokh's line after {pe'vIl DIHIvlaH...} here?

I thought this was one of the worst-enunciated bits of Klingon in the entire
film. {{:) No, I couldn't pick it up, but I can have another go at
transcribing it. (Did Okrand take any notes from the lines he wrote for
ST6?)

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Be the one of the first to try the NEW Windows Live Mail.
http://ideas.live.com/programPage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e-4911fb2b2e6d

Back to archive top level