tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 24 08:24:31 2006

Re: DIvI' Hol mughmeH: any more

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
> >If you do watch ST6, listen for this line:  Is it {-laH} or {-taH}?

QeS:
>Actually, from what I heard it was both: what I heard was {SovlaHbe'taH} (of
>course, this could be as much due to the actor's pronunciation as anything
>else), and I didn't see the officer in question articulate with his lips at
>the beginning of the second syllable (as one would expect were the suffix
>{-bej}). This also matches up with the subtitle "Kirk cannot know the
>location of the peace conference". However, as for the final suffix, I
>played it back a couple of dozen times, and it was definitely {-taH}. Where
>did you get your transcription?

I transcribed it myself several years ago.  Here's the scene from my
notes.  [The translations in parentheses are the (subtitles) as they appear
in the movie followed by the [closed captions] in brackets, which was
helpful in places where there were no subtitles. I've added excerpts in
{curly brackets} from J.M. Dillard's novelization which may reflect an
earlier version of Nicholas Meyer & Denny Martin Flinn's screenplay.]

      General Chang learns of Kirk's escape from Rura Penthe:

Warden:  ... Qollu'ta'                                         (?)
          (They were beamed aboard a Federation Starship.)
          ["They were beamed away."]
Warden:  qaghochnISlaH                                         (?)
          (I could trace...)
          [I could trace for you...]
  (or)    qaghochbe'laH                          (alternate version)
          [I can't trace [them] for you...]
Chang:   narghta'?  narghta'.
          (Escaped.)
Grokh:   qay'be'.  Daq Sovbejbe'taH qIrq.
          (Kirk cannot know the location of the peace conference.)
          {It does not matter... Kirk cannot know the location.}
Chang:   DaSovbej'a'?  bISuDrup'a'?
          (Are you sure? Will you take that chance?)
          {Are you sure [of that]? ... Are you willing to take that
          chance?}
Grokh:   DeghwI'. <He chu'>. So'wI' yIchu'.
          (Helmsman, make course to intercept Enterprise.)
          {Helmsman... New course! Engage cloaking device.}
Helm:    qaH!
          [Yes, sir!]

>If it is, in fact, {-laHbe'taH}, then the translation becomes quite
>reasonable ("Kirk still cannot know the location of the peace conference",
>with "know" standing in for the sense of "find out, discover, learn" or even
>"come to know"), particularly when one takes it in context:

The line from the novelization omits "of the peace conference":  "Kirk
[still] cannot know the location."  I'm convinced by {SovlaHbe'taH}:  Kirk
didn't know before and he still doesn't know now.  I'll correct my
notes.  I probably was distracted by Chang's beautifully enunciated
condescending response {DaSovbej'a'} "Are you sure [of
that]?".  Interestingly, there are three other examples of {Sovbej}:

   tugh luSovbej
   They will [know] in a moment. (ST5 notes)

   bISovbejbe'DI' tImer
   When in doubt, surprise them. TKW

   Sovbej
   know for certain (KGT 157)

>Chang, having just discovered that Kirk and McCoy have escaped: "They have
>escaped."
>Officer, trying to assuage his captain's anger: "Kirk still cannot know the
>location of the peace conference."

What did you get for the Warden's lines?  I had trouble understanding him.

Thanks for listening to the tape.  Sometimes it's hard to make out muttered
dialogue over my cheap TV's speakers, especially over background music or
sound effects.  Two sets of ears (and sound systems!) are better than one.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level