tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 23 20:05:00 2006

Re: DIvI' Hol mughmeH: any more

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh, ja':
>If you do watch ST6, listen for this line:  Is it {-laH} or {-taH}?

Actually, from what I heard it was both: what I heard was {SovlaHbe'taH} (of
course, this could be as much due to the actor's pronunciation as anything
else), and I didn't see the officer in question articulate with his lips at
the beginning of the second syllable (as one would expect were the suffix
{-bej}). This also matches up with the subtitle "Kirk cannot know the
location of the peace conference". However, as for the final suffix, I
played it back a couple of dozen times, and it was definitely {-taH}. Where
did you get your transcription?

If it is, in fact, {-laHbe'taH}, then the translation becomes quite
reasonable ("Kirk still cannot know the location of the peace conference",
with "know" standing in for the sense of "find out, discover, learn" or even
"come to know"), particularly when one takes it in context:

Chang, having just discovered that Kirk and McCoy have escaped: "They have
escaped."
Officer, trying to assuage his captain's anger: "Kirk still cannot know the
location of the peace conference."

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

New year, new job ? there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level