tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 24 07:49:07 2006

Re: Klingon WOTD: je' (verb)

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, May 24, 2006.
>
>Klingon word:   je'
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     feed (someone else)

Used in canon:

   yIje'
   Feed him! TKD/ST3

   HIje'
   Feed me. KLS

   qa' wIje'meH maSuv
   We fight to enrich the spirit.
  ("We fight in order to feed the spirit.") TKW

Related verbs:

{noS} "eat in small mouthfuls, nibble"; {Sop} eat; {ghung} be hungry;
{natlh} use up, consume, expend, drain [power]

>Homonyms:
>     je' (verb) - buy, purchase

Used in canon:

   vIje' rIntaH
   I have purchased it. TKD

   bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh
   Buy or die! CK

["This is a common saying among Klingon merchants, usually uttered when
customers are in the store comparing products or sampling the available
goods, but not purchasing anything. Tellingly, there is no known Klingon
word for 'browse,' at least as applied to matters of commerce." (TKW 213)]

   chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH
   [Maybe I'd like to buy something from you. (untranslated)] PK

   cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneH
   I want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

   cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneHbej
   I definitely want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

   qa'vam De' vIje' rIntaH
   I have purchased the Genesis Data. ST3

   qa' wIje'meH maSuv
   We fight to enrich the spirit.
   (or even "We fight in order to buy the spirit.") TKW

["... perhaps, to the Klingon way of thinking, while one is alive, one must
sacrifice or give up something (the way one uses credits or latinum when
making a purchase) in order to ensure that the spirit is one's own." (TKW 7)]

Related verbs:

{ngev} sell; {DIl} pay for; {tlhong} barter, bargain; {mech} trade

Note the idiom: {malja' Huq} "transact business"

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level