tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 05 14:34:32 2006

Re: adverbials (was Re: KLBC)

ja' ter'eS:
> My point is that, understanding time- and place-
> stamps to be functional adverbs,...

I neither share nor agree with that understanding.

> and having no
> compelling evidence that they are not equivalent
> to a true adverb,...

You don't find Marc Okrand's description of the "special" place nouns
to be compelling evidence?

   ...the concepts expressed by the English adverbs "here",
   "there", and "everywhere" are expressed by nouns in Klingon:...

Nouns.  Not adverbs.  Not even "adverbials".  Nouns.

If by "true adverb" you mean words labeled in the vocabulary as
adverbials, then there's still more evidence that they are a category
apart.  With the possible exception of {-Ha'}, they never appear with
noun or verb suffixes.  They have never been seen in canon with more
than one associated with a single verb.

That sentence bears repeating:  They have never been seen in canon
with more than one associated with a single verb.  Claiming
essentially that anything with a Type 5 noun suffix acts adverbially
in order to justify putting two adverbials with one verb is begging
the question.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level