tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 05 15:52:41 2006

Re: adverbials (was Re: KLBC)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ter'eS, ja': ter'eS:
>My point is that, understanding time- and place-stamps to be
>functional adverbs,...

I think that's a misleading statement. While the nouns may be functioning
adverbially (i.e. modifying a verb), there's a big difference between
"functioning adverbially" and "adverb".

While I can't speak for the time-stamps, we know that the nouns {naDev},
{pa'} and {Dat}, when used as place-stamps, are inherently equivalent to a
noun plus the suffix {-Daq} unless they take another Type 5 suffix: "It is
worth noting at this point that the concepts expressed by the English
{naDev} <hereabouts>, {pa'} <thereabouts>, {Dat} <everywhere>. Unlike other
nouns, these three words are never followed by the locative suffix." (TKD
27). And we already know that multiple {-Daq} headers can appear on nouns
({tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq jIlengpu'} "I've travelled everywhere",
startrek.klingon 21-11-1999), so using place stamps to justify the presence
of multiple adverbials is not a useful argument.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level