tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 05 14:22:01 2006

Re: KLBC

In a message dated 5/5/2006 10:19:13 AM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> > In a message dated 5/4/2006 10:01:20 AM Central
> > Standard Time,
> > [email protected] writes:
> >
> > > Yes, I remember that from when I studied Middle
> > Egyptian years
> > > ago.  European scholars (particularly Erman and
> > Gardiner IIRC) classed
> > > these as adverb(ial)s, but the question is:  Did
> > EGYPTIAN grammarians call
> > > them "adverbs"?  (Indeed, what is the Egyptian for
> > "adverb"?  Or "verb" and
> > > "noun" for that matter?)
> > >

> > Did Egyptians even study language in any way similar
> > to what we do now?  Or
> > like the Sanskrit grammarian did?  (Panini is the
> > only name I can think of for
> > him, but I'm almost guessing).
> >

> It doesn't matter if Egyptians analyzed their language
> or had a word for 'adverb'.

No, the point was Voragh (I think) wondering what the ancient Egyptians
called adverb(ial)s.

Your point that we can study Klingon (or any other language) without knowing
how the natives describe their language is valid, but not germane to his
question (or mine).

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level