tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 30 08:05:48 2006

Re: (KLBC) How does one express feelings...?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
>BUT... it could be that you have seen this somewhere anyway, because many
>english transliterations for Klimgon names are done that way, very often
>used in StarTrek books: K'Mpec, K'Tinga, T'Ong, P'tak

These were created by writers with a somewhat different version of
"Klingonese" in mind.  Okrand has adapted them to his system, though, often
using /I/ to deal with this semi-vocalic /'/:

   qI'empeq, qItI'nga', tI'ang, petaQ

If it helps, think of them as being borrowings from another, possibly
older, Klingon dialect into {ta' Hol} (the standard dialect we use on this
list).

As an example there's John Paul Jone's flagship "Bonhomme Richard" named by
him in honor of Benjamin Franklin, the American representative in France
who had used Richard as a pen-name.  Today the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6)
is an Amphibious Assault Ship operating in the Pacific.   (BTW Jone's ship
was a gift from France to the American Continental Navy, originally named
-- wait for it...! -- "Le Duc du *Duras*"!  <g>)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level