tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 28 09:25:57 2006

Re: (KLBC) How does one express feelings...?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

  Well, you said in your other email about using Ebay, problem with that too... Anyway, i am aware that you don't really translate some words, but there has to be correct usage. Like in french, instead of saying "go to hell" it's more common to say "go do yourself". Thing is, i don't know one way or another how to say a Klingon equivalent of "darn" or "crap" or "yay!" lol

  And i thought it was: p'taQ not petaQ...

  (sorry if this sent twice, i not only needed to update but the page was going to time out so i don't know if it emailed twice or not...)

Lieven Litaer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Shane:

> > Also, i havn't seen a listing anywhere of what the curses
> > mean...

You cannot really translate what they *mean*. What does "Darn!" really mean?
Or maybe the F-word? What is an idiot? Can you really tell what it means?

Maybe in english, an "a-hole" is insulting, but in Klingon that's just a
bodypart.

On the other hand, a {petaQ} is just a "P'tak".
Don't translate it, just use it!

> > > I mean, what if we are to use the curses, wrong? They may be curses,

Voragh is right, you cannot curse inappropriately in Klingon.
You just need to distinguish between the insults (You fool!) and the general
curses (Dammit!)

> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8853/curse.html
> Note that this was just an informal list ...

Oh yes, you should pay attention with it, 'cause it contains non-canon
vocabulary (that is what we call not official Klingon); for instance Klingon
has no letter "k", and also not an "L" following a "p"

But it's interesting anyway :-)

Quvar.