tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 24 03:14:37 2006

Re: "my name is" (was Re: loy)

Philip Newton ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

On 1/23/06, QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:
> I would imagine that, naturally, the two nouns could be
> reversed: {pongwIj 'oH QeS'e'}. I guess it comes back to this given/new
> distinction that Lawrence referred to a couple of weeks back: the new
> information is usually the more emphasised, and so in the copular construct
> the new information should probably be in the subject position, with {-'e'}.

On the other hand, {QeS 'oH pongwIj'e'} always seemed the more natural to me.

I gloss the topic marker sometimes as "as for" -- and in this case,
the two ways of saying it become "As for my name, it's <Kresh>" and
"As for <Kresh>, it's my name".

And since the implied question, to me, is not "What is <Kresh>?" or
"What does <Kresh> refer to?" but rather "What's your name?", an
answer that topicalises {pong} seems appropriate to me.
--
Philip Newton <[email protected]>
HovpoH 5212.33

Back to archive top level