tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 23 05:55:53 2006

Re: "my name is" (was Re: loy)

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

jIja'pu':
>{QeS 'oH pongwIj'e'} "my name is QeS"
>This is the only 100% correct way of saying one's name that we know of.

mujang ghunchu'wI':
>jIQoch.  pIm chovnatlh wIghajbogh: <'roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH>
>vaj lughba' <jIHvaD ghunchu'wI' ponglu'> qar'a'?

chovnatlhvetlh vItu'be'pu'! choSovmoHmo' qatlho'.

ja'taH:
>(And I've always felt that the way you did it sounds backwards, but  that's
>a very old debate that I have no desire to reopen today.)

TKD mIw 'oH neH. I would imagine that, naturally, the two nouns could be
reversed: {pongwIj 'oH QeS'e'}. I guess it comes back to this given/new
distinction that Lawrence referred to a couple of weeks back: the new
information is usually the more emphasised, and so in the copular construct
the new information should probably be in the subject position, with {-'e'}.
Is that what you mean?

jIja'taH:
>"I call myself" requires two objects and a subject, which in Klingon  is
>not normally possible, as a verb only licenses one subject and one
>object argument at a time.

mujangtaH ghunchu'wI", ja':
>By this reasoning, "I give the officer the knife" would not be  possible in
>Klingon either.  We know that not to be the case, and the  way to do it
>exactly parallels the {juHqo' ponglu'} example, using {-vaD}
>for the beneficiary of the action.

I can't fault your argument. DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'. I was going
on the basis of "I call myself" being {jIpong'egh}, which can't take an
additional object.

jIja'taH:
>There may be another grammatical way, using {pong} as a
>verb, but we don't know it.

mujangtaH, ja':
>Um...yes, we do.  Skybox card S27 {Qo'noS} gives it to us.
>{...'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu'...} "...it is called the Homeworld..."

Ah, the things one says in ignorance... HIvqa' veqlargh. Again, thanks for
bringing this to my attention. It seems I should make sure that my canon
database does, in fact, have all the Skybox cards in it.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Buy now @ Tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fad%2Eau%2Edoubleclick%2Enet%2Fclk%3B24875379%3B12369854%3Ba%3Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Etradingpost%2Ecom%2Eau%3Freferrer%3DnmsnHMetagv1&_t=752643439&_r=hotmailtagline&_m=EXT

Back to archive top level