tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 29 13:40:53 2006

Re: "conjunction"?

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Steven Boozer wrote:
> You may be right.  All our evidence for {muv} imply joining a group of people:

I'll be printing this out and putting it on a wall.  ;)

> Your TKD example can be analyzed two ways.  As a purpose clause:
>
>   ja'chuqmeH, rojHom neH jaghla'.
>   In order to confer, the enemy commander wishes a truce.
>
> or as a purpose noun:
>
>   [ja'chuqmeH rojHom] neH jaghla'.
>   The enemy commander wishes a truce-for-confering.
>
> where {ja'chuqmeH rojHom} is a sub-class of {rojHom} "truce, temporary
> peace" which is itself a type of {roj} "peace".

I don't think the distinction is applicable to the point I was attempting
to make.  A purpose noun clause, like /ja'chuqmeH rojHom/ is distinctly
different from a relative clause, like */ja'chuqbogh rojHom/, because with
purpose clauses, the subject of the verb part is rarely, if ever, the noun
being modified.  I think the example you quote actually bear this out
fairly consistently:

> {QongmeH Duj} "[cryogenic] sleeper ship":

The /Duj/ is not what is sleeping...

> {ngongmeH Duj} "experimental ship, prototype":

The ship is not what is experimenting...

> {chenmoHlu'meH Daq} "construction site":

The site is not constructing...

> and the specific {qaSuchmeH 'eb} "the opportunity (for me) to visit you":
>
>   jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb
>   I was too late to visit you.
>   ("Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped.")
> (st.k 1/98)
>
> which is clearly the object of the verb {nargh}.  (It also shows that the
> verb in a purpose noun can be fully conjugated as to subject and
> object.)  If this were an ordinary purpose clause, you would have to
> rewrite this.  E.g.:

I think you meant "clearly the subject of the verb (nargh)"  :)

But this even further demonstrates my point -- the subject of the /-meH/
clause in /qaSuchmeH 'eb/ is clearly NOT the /'eb/...

The distinction becomes important when talking about a conjunction itself:

cha' mu'tlhegh Dararchugh, rarbogh mu' yIlo'.
If you want to connect two sentences, use the word-which-connects
("conjunction").

Using a consistent purpose noun phrase/clause becomes problematic:

cha' mu'tlhegh Dararchugh, *rarmeH mu' yI'lo'.
If you want to connect two sentences, use the word for (him/her/it/they
to) connect.

What's the subject of /rarmeH/ in this case?  To be grammatically correct,
you'd probably want /DararmeH/, so you'd get "Use the word for you to
connect them" -- but that doesn't really give you any guidance as to what
kind of word.

cha' mu'tlhegh vIrarlaHmeH mu' vIneH.  mu' nuq vIlo'?
I need a word so I can connect two sentences.  What word do I use?

rarbogh mu' yIwIv. <<'ej>> yIlo'.
Choose a word-which-connects (conjunction).  Use /'ej/.

This isn't to say that I think /rarmeH mu'/ is "wrong", I just don't think
it's a useful way to consistently describe the concept.  Compare, for
example:

rarbogh mu' 'oH <<'ej>>'e'.
/'ej/ is a word which connects (things).

rarmeH mu' 'oH <<'ej>>'e'.
/'ej/ is a word for connecting.
/'ej/ is a word for (him/her/it/them) to connect (things).

I think the construct /rarbogh mu'/ is a little better, because it's
something you can kinda just "drop in"; since the subject of /rarbogh/ is
always /mu'/, and that's basically always an "it", you don't have to worry
about the prefix...  With /rarmeH mu'/, I think you have to be care to
make sure your verb prefixes are straight, because grammatically, you
might really need to be changing it to /DararmeH mu'/ if you're talking to
someone about conjunctions...

Does that make any sense?  The differentiation is so slight, I hope my
perspective is clear.

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
       "Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?"

Back to archive top level