tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 28 13:55:30 2006

Re: HolQeD Republishing...

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, H Myers wrote:
> pIvlaw' 'angghaal.  QonoSDaj vIlaD 'ej ghItlhmey qontaH ngevtaH je.  'ej

/qontaH/ and /ngevtaH/ are both verbs; /je/ is used as a conjunction only
for nouns...  You probably wanted something like /ghItlhmey qontaH 'ej
ngevtaH/.

Interesting question, though -- how would I say all that in tlhIngan Hol?
I think there's a new grammatical term for our wiki page -- "conjunction".
I'm thinking maybe something like /rarwI'/ "connector"...  although I
could be sold on something a bit more explicity, like /mu'tlhegh
muvmoHbogh mu''e'/ "word which joins sentences" (as opposed to /DIp
muvmoHbogh mu''e'/ "word which joins nouns")...

Would I be understood if I said:

wot bIHtaH qontaH

I doubt it -- Even in English, you'd likely use quotes or something to
denote the improper:  "Run" is a verb (as opposed to:  Run is a verb).

wot bIHtaH <<qontaH>>, <<ngevtaH>> je.  DIpmey muvmoHmeH neH <<je>> yIlo'.
mu'tlheghmey DamuvmoHchugh, bIH jojDaq <<'ej>> yIlo'.

/qontaH/ and /ngevtaH/ are verbs.  Use /je/ only to join nouns.  If you're
joining sentences, use /'ej/ between them.

This might sound silly, anyone thought of trying to translate the TKD into
Klingon?  :)

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
     "Music and passion were always the fashion, at the Copa...
       Don't fall in love..."  -- Barry Manilow, "Copacabana"

Back to archive top level