tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 14:58:22 2006

"Every Three Months" (was Re: Hol chu' HaDlu''a'?)

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Steven Boozer wrote:
> ...Paul writes:
>> motlh rInDI' wej jar, lab /KLI/.
>> Usually after three months, the KLI sends one out.
>>
>> (Question -- how would other people phrase a concept like "every three
>> months"?)
>
> Good question.  {rIn} "be accomplished, be finished" works, although {qaS}
> "occur, happen" seems to be the expected verb when discussing the passage
> of time:

/qaS/!  I knew there was a construction like that, I just couldn't
for the life of me remember it...

Looks like /qaStaHvIS/ is primarily for "during" (so /qaStaHvIS wej jar/
would be "during three months" or "for three months"), but I wanted
"after", so probably /qaSDI' wej jar/...

>   qaSDI' nenghep, qa' patlh chu' chav tlhIngan SuvwI'
>   The Age of Ascension marks a new level of spiritual attainment by a
> Klingon warrior. S9

Yeah, I think this example shows the idea of "after" or "at the
termination of..."

> To get the idea of every three months - over and over and over again - I'd
> be tempted to use {-taH}, but there are no examples of the string
> {-taHDI'}.  So you could say simply {qaSDI' wej jar...} or maybe use {reH}
> "always":  ?{reH qaSDI' wej jar}.  Perhaps it's best to shift {motlh} and
> {-taH} to the next clause:
>
>   rInDI' wej jar, motlh chovnatlh chu' labtaH tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.
>   When/After 3 months have occurred, the KLI usually sends out a new issue.

I don't like the /-taH/ part, though I'm not sure I could put my finger on
why it doesn't sit right, even if it's moved.  Perhaps just /qaSDI' wej
jar/ is sufficient...

qaSDI' wej jar, motlh chovnatlh chu' lab tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.

I actually kinda like the idea of using /Hoch/, even though it's really
dicey, I admit, because /wej jar/ is plural, though it takes no suffix.
Realizing I'm not an authority, though, to me it would make things simple
to say that something like */Hoch wej jar/ would be "every three months"
whereas */Hoch wej jarmey/ would mean "each of the three months" or "all
of the three months".

Hmm.  What about the construction /Hoch wej jar poH/...  /poH/ is singular
(I believe).  I could see this being read as "Each of the three-month time
periods"...  /wej jar poH/ "period of three months"?  That has some
possibilities, I think, and would fit the use of /Hoch/ for singular vs.
plural nouns a little more cleanly...

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
    "All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;
         the point is to discover them." -- Galileo Galilei

Back to archive top level