tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 11 15:03:04 2006

Re: Hol chu' HaDlu''a'?

...Paul ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Steven Boozer wrote:
> lay'tel:
>> How about "every/all third months"?
>
> Good idea.  I hadn't considered ordinal numbers:
>
>   qaSDI' Hoch jar wejDIch, motlh chovnatlh chu' lab tlhIngan Hol yejHaD.
>   When(ever) every third month occurs, the KLI usually sends out a new issue.
>
> I like it.  And you can drop {-taH} which is probably over-kill with
> {motlh} anyway.  In fact, you don't need any aspect suffix at all.  We have
> several examples of a repetitive - or at least a general - statement, where
> {-DI'} could also be translated "whenever":

I like it too.  /qaSDI' Hoch jar wejDIch/...  Definitely clean.  My only
concern is that it seems like it refers to "March" -- ie. the idea of
"third month" would be always related to the start of the year.  Rather
than being "every three months" it's "every third month (of the year)".
Maybe that's just me putting a connotation where none exists -- I'd be
perfectly happy to call this a solution...

...Paul

          ** ...Paul, [email protected], Insane Engineer **
        "In the end, everything is a gag." -- Charlie Chaplin

Back to archive top level