tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 14 16:15:51 2006

Re: mangpu' or negh?

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Shane MiQogh, ja':
>Based on the above, *MAY* actually speak klingon and interpret the
>suffixes and prefixes as separate words because of their seperate meanings.

I'll say this one last time: ALL agglutinative languages usually have
clearly defined boundaries between their affixes. However, saying that these
boundaries can be interpreted as word boundaries is fallacy, and
interpreting suffixes as separate words is not a useful technique. Would you
interpret "transderivationally" as a five-word clause? Of course not. In the
same way, it's pointless to try and call {DumuSvIp} a three-word clause. It
contains three separate morphemes, sure, but it's one whole, coherent idea,
no less so than "undecided" is.

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

Win 1000s of music downloads and Party MeeGos instantly. Play now!
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=689&referral=hotmailtagline&URL=http://partyfever.ninemsn.com.au/compintro.aspx?compid=209

Back to archive top level