tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 09 21:01:33 2006

vowels vs. consonants <Re: Klingon WOTD: pIl (verb)

In a message dated 4/9/2006 4:58:26 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:
> there is one three-vowel letter, the tlh, which is similar to the welsh ll
> (which *is* in fact two LLs next to eachother).
> the tlh is however 1 letter, not three. 4 vowels doesn't happen as far as
> I know, apart from maybe where a ' is connected to tlh...
> but again here, it's in fact only 2 letters.

{'} and {tlh} are both consonants.
The five vowels are {a}, {e}, {I}, {o}, and {u}.
I don't think there any words with even two adjacent vowels.  Adjacent
consonants occur frequency where two syllables meet, but rarely anywhere else, and
then mostly in names such as {qIrq} and {pIqarD}.  {rgh} is anomalous: Is it
one consonant or two?  It looks like two, but it acts like one.  {w} and {y} are
also special cases.  They are semi-vowels after vowels, but consonants before
vowels.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level