tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 14 11:24:14 2006

Re: Japan Hol (Re: mangpu' or negh?)

In a message dated 4/14/2006 12:55:37 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> If you notice... They don't have kanji installed on computers, but they
> have hiragana and katakana... I wonder if there is a reson behind that.
> Reguardless, Katakana is for pop culture, while hiragana (i hope i'm not mixing these
> 2 up) has the 26 letter alphabet, with the other alphabet rewritten (or
> maybe not rewritten) with different letters to add to it. This is for the purpose
> of non japanese things, but this is way off topic.

My computer has kanji (in MS Word, along with other Unicode symbols).
Katakana is for foreign words, similar to italics, and for some words for
certain animals and plants, e.g., grasshopper.  Hiragana is used for everything
else, i.e., when neither kanji nor katakana is appropriate, such as verb
endings or demonstratives.  The two forms of kana represent exactly the same sounds.
 Which one to use is context dependent, and all Japanese could be written in
either kana alone.
Neither type of kana includes the 26 English letters, although English
letters are commonly found in all kinds of modern Japanese texts.
I once invented a form of writing for Klingon which was similar in concept to
Korean Hangul, namely distinct symbols for the phonemes, but the phonemes are
arranged in syllables (to look more like Chinese).  For Klingon, the initial
consonant was on top, with the vowel in the middle, and the final consonant
(if any) was on the bottom.  Finals {rgh}, {w'}, and {y'} had tails below the
rest of the line.  Depending on the symbols chosen for the phonemes, very
artistic forms could be obtained.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level