tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 10 15:00:40 2006

Re: -rgh (was Re: vowels vs. consonants <Re: Klingon WOTD: pIl (verb))

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- QeS 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlhpu' ter'eS:
> >I have always suspected that this is a case of
> >r-coloring of the preceding vowel, so that there
> >really isn't a consonant cluster {rgh} but a
> >(vowel+r)+{gh} complex.
>
> This is very possible. I have heard that on the
> tapes, Okrand never trills
> the {r} in words ending with the {-rgh} coda.
> However, it begs the question:
> why does it exclusively happen with the final
> consonant {gh}?

I might be willing to hypothesize that _every_
instance of V+/r/+C is a case of r-coloring, and
that in most cases, the /r/ drops out before a
consonant, except for the special features (?)
of /gh/ that cause it to be retained. 8+)

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level