tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 10 14:19:38 2006

Re: -rgh (was Re: vowels vs. consonants <Re: Klingon WOTD: pIl (verb))

QeS 'utlh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ter'eS:
>I have always suspected that this is a case of
>r-coloring of the preceding vowel, so that there
>really isn't a consonant cluster {rgh} but a
>(vowel+r)+{gh} complex.

This is very possible. I have heard that on the tapes, Okrand never trills
the {r} in words ending with the {-rgh} coda. However, it begs the question:
why does it exclusively happen with the final consonant {gh}?

QeS 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD pabpo' / Grammarian of the Klingon Language Institute

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' ngo' je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

realestate.com.au: the biggest address in property
http://ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level