tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 01 16:58:05 2006

Re: more Okuda pIqaD?

Russ Perry Jr ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

At 6:42 PM -0500 4/1/06, [email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] writes:
>>> I hadn't thought of it being in Vulcan.

>> But I'm thinking that even if it's "in Vulcan", what that probably
>> means is that it's a "Vulcan" word written [phonetically] in [...]
>> English, then having piQaD characters replacing the English ones
>> correspondingly.  There might not be any real grammatical sense to
>> the text though.

> The Vulcan language may have no relevance here at all, since the
> sign itself is located in the *town* of Vulcan [...]

I understand that, but I thought an earlier poster was implying
something about the text being in the Vulcan language somehow.

Ah, here it is:

Terrence Donnelly <[email protected]> wrote:
> Trying to apply these values to the Vulcan sign looks hopeless to
> me.  And if the sign really says "welcome" _in Vulcan_, then all
> bets are off on what the text is even supposed to say.

The way he stressed "_in Vulcan_", and the grammar around it, made
me think he meant the language.  My apologies if that was incorrect.

/* ---- */

[email protected] writes:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> [email protected] writes:
>>> Actually, vulcan (even though it's not a language) dosn't have
>>> any vowels.

>> Of course there is a Vulcan language. And it has vowels. Why would
>> you say otherwise?

> From what i've heard, the only star trek based language is
> Klingon.  Who developed the vulcan language and when?

Perhaps if you'd followed the links I provided.  The first one has
this to say:

Q> The late Dale Murphy devised an ancient Vulcan language, called
Q> "FthinraKathi", for use in an unpublished Star Trek universe novel
Q> (and planned sequels) he wrote before any of Diane Duane's books
Q> were published.

Further, if you Google you can find a book at lulu.com by Mark R.
Gardner, who claims copyright on the pages I mentioned the links
for, so it would seem the "modern Vulcan language" is his.  I'll
allow you to research further.

That said, I don't believe Vulcan is a "usable" language in the
booklet I have; it was almost entirely vocabulary without grammar.
The webpage seems to have actual grammar, so maybe it's not related
to that fanbook at all.
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||   847-952-9729     [email protected]      VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!   ||