tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 01 17:13:31 2006

Re: more Okuda pIqaD?

Shane MiQogh ([email protected])

I Think you're implying that he's saying vulcan letters... It is then possible (based on what you said below that) that it is vulcan written in pIqaD.

  As for the Vulcan language, it appears to be copywrited then, but no one currently has credit for making an entire language like they did with klingon. As you said, it's currently unusable in your booklet, and perhaps all together at this point. I once heard a rumor that to be considered a language in a country it must be proposed to a certain group of a country's government to be considered a language... This rumor also states that Klingon was proposed and approved by this position in the government, but i doubt Vulcan has, since Paramount didn't even claim it (and it seems to claim rights to everything star trek) it's probably just a hoax and everyone's scrambling to try to do what Marc did. No offence to anyone who might be studying this out there, but unlike Klingon, vulcan dosn't appear to be officially a language, yet... By all means, if some one makes a language and it gains at least half the popularity of Klingon, then i think more people would consider it a
 language... But from what little i see infront of me, it's just a bunch of people declaring they made Vulcan a language but there isn't a TVD (rather than TKD) out yet. lol If there is a language, i don't see it official yet... I know it is off topic and shoulda been written in Klingon, but i'm not gonna write all this in klingon. lol
Russ Perry Jr <[email protected]> wrote:
    At 6:42 PM -0500 4/1/06, [email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] writes:
>>> I hadn't thought of it being in Vulcan.

>> But I'm thinking that even if it's "in Vulcan", what that probably
>> means is that it's a "Vulcan" word written [phonetically] in [...]
>> English, then having piQaD characters replacing the English ones
>> correspondingly. There might not be any real grammatical sense to
>> the text though.

> The Vulcan language may have no relevance here at all, since the
> sign itself is located in the *town* of Vulcan [...]

I understand that, but I thought an earlier poster was implying
something about the text being in the Vulcan language somehow.

Ah, here it is:

Terrence Donnelly wrote:
> Trying to apply these values to the Vulcan sign looks hopeless to
> me. And if the sign really says "welcome" _in Vulcan_, then all
> bets are off on what the text is even supposed to say.

The way he stressed "_in Vulcan_", and the grammar around it, made
me think he meant the language. My apologies if that was incorrect.

[email protected] writes:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> [email protected] writes:
>>> Actually, vulcan (even though it's not a language) dosn't have
>>> any vowels.

>> Of course there is a Vulcan language. And it has vowels. Why would
>> you say otherwise?

> From what i've heard, the only star trek based language is
> Klingon. Who developed the vulcan language and when?

Perhaps if you'd followed the links I provided. The first one has
this to say:

Q> The late Dale Murphy devised an ancient Vulcan language, called
Q> "FthinraKathi", for use in an unpublished Star Trek universe novel
Q> (and planned sequels) he wrote before any of Diane Duane's books
Q> were published.

Further, if you Google you can find a book at lulu.com by Mark R.
Gardner, who claims copyright on the pages I mentioned the links
for, so it would seem the "modern Vulcan language" is his. I'll
allow you to research further.

That said, I don't believe Vulcan is a "usable" language in the
booklet I have; it was almost entirely vocabulary without grammar.
The webpage seems to have actual grammar, so maybe it's not related
to that fanbook at all.