tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 04 08:07:17 2005

Re: targhmey

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

ghunchu'wI':
> >If you just want to ask about the targ's location, using a "pronoun-
> >as-to-be" is the proper way to do it.

QeS la':
>... *a* proper way to do it. As I said earlier, a variation on {tu'lu'} is
>another explicitly canon way: TKW p.21 gives {tIqDaq HoSna' tu'lu'} "Real
>power is in the heart", whose verb doesn't seem to be particularly marked,
>particularly if {tu'lu'} is as common and formulaic as is implied in KGT
>(p.127 IIRC).

QeS is correct.  Both common usages seem equally unmarked:

   juHqo'Daq vaS'a' tu'lu'
   On the Homeworld, there is a great hall... S25

   bIQ'a'Daq 'oHtaH 'etlh'e'
   The sword is in the ocean (KGT 121)

The only difference I can see is a slight shift of focus.  The
"pronoun-as-to-be" construction has a subject (marked with {-'e'}), while
the {tu'lu'} construction has no subject (or an "indefinite subject" if you
prefer).  E.g.:

   bIQtIq retlhDaq 'oHtaH targh'e'
   a targ is beside the river
   the targ is beside the river