tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 21 08:30:07 2005

Re: Is it my turn yet?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

juDmoS:
> >I've been trying to figure out a way to refer the concept of taking
> >"turns"...implying not only that there is a structure to this game but
> >that, when my turn is over, it is your (or someone else's) turn, which
> >will itself have a definite starting and ending point, during which
> >he/she/it will attempt to counter whatever strategy you are attempting to
> >employ, and that, eventually, it will be my turn again, and so on, until
> >the winner of the game is decided (rather a long-winded description for a
> >simple four-letter-word, is it not?). I know the concept exists, but what
> >means has been used to convey this concept to date? I've been so far
> >unable to determine a way to do this that does not involve a lengthy
> >discussion of the concepts. Is there one? Can someone refer me to a handy
> >term or phrase which will sum this up concisely?

Voragh:
>The closest I can think of is {'eb} "opportunity, chance, opening", which
>has been used to refer to a round of drinks:
>
>{DuH} "possibility" and {wIv} "choice" might also work, depending on the game.

On further thought, a better noun is {mIw} "procedure, a process" expanded
to "step, stage (in a process)" in KGT:

   'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw paghDIch
Data'
   When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but when you turn
   the painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step. KGT

   'oy'naQ Dachu'Ha'DI' mIw HochDIch Data'
   When you turn the painstik off, you accomplish the last step." KGT

A {mIw} could be considered a step or stage of a {Quj} - a round or turn
depending on the game.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons