tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 20 11:22:31 2005

Correct/canon usage of numbers

Daniel Abraham ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

According to TKD, an ordinal number is placed after the noun (e.g. meb
wa'DIch / first guest). My question is what's the grammatical type of
the ordinal number? Does it function as a noun like regular numbers
(something like "the first of guests")? Or as a sort of "adjective"
(even though it's not a verb)?

Another question, regarding the "number forming elements" (maH, vatlh,
etc.): are they suffixes or words? TKD shows them attached to the number
words, while (I think) the "Bird of Prey" poster which is considered as
canon has them separated by a space. So in other words, are both usages
correct? Is there a distinction between different forming elements?

Also, is it correct to use a number forming element without a number
(e.g. <'uy'> instead of <wa''uy'>)?

Thanks,
Daniel

Back to archive top level