tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 21 07:58:50 2005

Re: Is it my turn yet?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

juDmoS:

>I've been trying to figure out a way to refer the concept of taking
>"turns"...implying not only that there is a structure to this game but
>that, when my turn is over, it is your (or someone else's) turn, which
>will itself have a definite starting and ending point, during which
>he/she/it will attempt to counter whatever strategy you are attempting to
>employ, and that, eventually, it will be my turn again, and so on, until
>the winner of the game is decided (rather a long-winded description for a
>simple four-letter-word, is it not?). I know the concept exists, but what
>means has been used to convey this concept to date? I've been so far
>unable to determine a way to do this that does not involve a lengthy
>discussion of the concepts. Is there one? Can someone refer me to a handy
>term or phrase which will sum this up concisely?

The closest I can think of is {'eb} "opportunity, chance, opening", which
has been used to refer to a round of drinks:

   <<'eb Qav>> jatlhpu'.
   He said, "Last call!" CK

and there's a couple of proverbs that would be appropriate during a game:

   reH 'eb tu'lu'
   There is always a chance. TKW

   Hoch 'ebmey tIjon
   Capture all opportunities.
   ["In Klingon, opportunities are captured [jon], not taken; a missed
     opportunity is said to have escaped [nargh]." (TKW 51)]

For examples of missed opportunities, see these variant translations from
st.klingon (jan. 1998):

   jIpaSqu'mo' narghpu' qaSuchmeH 'eb.
   I was too late to visit you.
   ("Because I'm very late, the opportunity to visit you has escaped.")

   qaSuch vIneH 'ach narghpu' 'eb.  jIpaSqu'.
   I was too late to visit you.
   ("I want to visit you, but the opportunity has escaped. I am very late.")

   qaSuchlaHbe'.  jIpaSqu' vaj narghpu' 'eb.
   I was too late to visit you.
   ("I cannot visit you. I am very late, thus the opportunity has escaped.")

{DuH} "possibility" and {wIv} "choice" might also work, depending on the game.

Okrand has only talked briefly about game terminology:

   "To win" a competition is {Qap}. (If it's a decisive or particularly
   gratifying victory, they'd say {Qapchu'}, even though that's a bit
   redundant... To a Klingon, to win is to function perfectly. The oppo-
   site notion, "lose", is commonly {luj}, also meaning "fail". (HQ 2.4)

{pe''egh} is used for "keep score" (lit. "cut oneself"):

   It comes from an old Klingon habit of keeping track of accomplishments
   by making small cuts on one's skin, usually on the face, as a tally.
   (TKW 135)

   potlhbe'chugh yay qatlh pe''eghlu'?
   If winning (lit. "victory") is not important, then why keep score? TKW

Other game-related verbs include {qaD} "challenge", {'ov} "compete" and, of
course, {Quj} "play a game".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons