tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 10 08:21:49 2005

Re: Sa'HutwIj [HI/yI]chop

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS lagh wrote:
>> Not quite. {Sa'HutwIj HIchop} is grammatical, but it doesn't mean "bite my
>> bottom". There would be a direct object {Sa'Hut} and an indirect object
>> {jIHvaD}.

jang Paul:
There is no indirect object in the English "Bite my bottom".

QeS lagh:
>> 'e' vISovchu'. But there *is* an indirect object in the Klingon phrase
>> {Sa'HutwIj HIchop}, which is why {Sa'HutwIj HIchop} does not mean only "bite
>> my bottom".

Paul:
I gotcha.  I misunderstood what your point was.  I completely agree with
everything else.

Moving the discussion from the grammatical to the cultural...

Warning: A Klingon may not understand "Bite me" or "Bite my bottom" as an insult, but rather as a romantic come-on. We know that Klingon males initiate courtship by biting the female (VGR "Someone to Watch Over Me"). And we also have this phrase from Okrand:

  HIchop, bang.
  Give us a kiss, love. (Radio Times)

Ah, the dangers of literal translation!

--