tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 09 01:12:22 2005

Re: Sa'HutwIj [HI/yI]chop

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu':
>Not quite. {Sa'HutwIj HIchop} is grammatical, but it doesn't mean "bite my
>bottom". There would be a direct object {Sa'Hut} and an indirect object
>{jIHvaD}.

jang Paul:
>There is no indirect object in the English "Bite my bottom".

'e' vISovchu'. But there *is* an indirect object in the Klingon phrase
{Sa'HutwIj HIchop}, which is why {Sa'HutwIj HIchop} does not mean only "bite
my bottom".

taH:
>"My Bottom" is a direct object of "bite".  /Sa'HutwIj yIchop/, then, would
>be
>"Bite my bottom".  If you said /jIHvaD Sa'Hut yIchop/ like it appears
>you're
>implying, it would be "Bite my bottom for me" which is definitely not what
>I suspect is being communicated.

You've misunderstood what I wrote: that's exactly what I tried to say. I'm
not sure what you thought I meant, but if you reread the thread, you'll see
that I was trying to explain why {Sa'HutwIj HIchop} (and thus {jIHvaD
Sa'HutwIj yIchop}) does *not* mean "bite my bottom".

The prefix trick tells us that {Sa'HutwIj HIchop} equals {jIHvaD Sa'HutwIj
yIchop}.
Common sense tells us that {jIHvaD Sa'HutwIj yIchop} does not equal
{Sa'HutwIj yIchop}.
Therefore, {Sa'HutwIj HIchop} does not equal {Sa'HutwIj yIchop} either. Both
sentences are grammatical, but their meanings are different.

DaH qechmeywIj Dayaj'a'?

Savan,

QeS lagh

not nItoj Hemey ngo' juppu' qan je
     - Ubykh Hol vIttlhegh

SEEK: Now with over 60,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level