tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 15 07:31:25 2004

Re: jIb

lay'SIv wrote:

>Is {wa' jIb} a single hair or a head of hair?

Unknown.  If it's only a mass noun, {wa' jIb} may be gibberish (e.g. like
"one sand", "one rice" or "one water" in English).

>Does {jIb} parallel English usage of 'hair', with both count and mass
>interpretations?

{jIb} - glossed "hair on head" in TKD - is certainly a mass noun, based on
our only example:

   DaH jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH.
   I must wash my hair now.  PK

but it can refer to a single hair is unknown.  (For that matter, how do you
refer to a single {pob} "hair on body", a single hair of fur {veD} or a
single flake of dandruff {quHvaj}?)

If you have to, I suggest using {SIrgh} "string, thread, filament": ?{wa'
jIb SIrgh}.  A {SIrgh} can be very thin:

   Each string is a {SIrgh}, a word also used for any thread or filament.
   A {SIrgh} of the finest quality is made from a material secreted by
   insects, similar to the silk produced by silkworms.  [KGT 76]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level