tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 15 07:18:14 2004

Re: jIb

ngabwI' ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 8:55 AM
Subject: jIb

> Is {wa' jIb} a single hair or a head of hair?  Does {jIb} parallel English
> usage of 'hair', with both count and mass interpretations?
> lay'tel SIvten

AFAIK, we have only one example of {jIb} in canon, from PK:

{DaH jIbwIj vISay'nISmoH} "I must wash my hair now."

So we have at least a "mass interpretation" of the word.

FWIW, when I read {wa' jIb}, I pictured a single strand of hair, so the
"count interpretation" is, to me, a valid one. YMMV.

The key here, I think, is to not limit the way this language can be used. If
I were asking a question like this, I would ask myself if the answer would
actually expand our knowledge of the language, or simply eliminate a
possible meaning for the word. Eliminating meanings would be a bad thing,
and a disservice to the language.

Let me give you an example: Let's say we go to MO and ask, "Can we use {jIb}
to talk about a single strand of hair?" MO thinks for a minute and says,
"No". End of conversation. We've just eliminated a word we could have used
to express this concept.

Before asking the question, we could at least use {wa' jIb} with the
knowledge that it *might* be correct. With the question above being
answered, we would know that {wa' jIb} would definitely be incorrect, and we
would have to come up with some other, less elegant, way to express this
idea.

I'm not suggesting that we don't ask these questions. I only suggest we
change the way they're asked. And when we're speaking amongst ourselves, we
should expect to hear the answer, {maSovchu'be'}.

So, in answer to your question, if you want to talk about a single strand of
hair, go ahead and use {wa' jIb}. If anyone has objections, they will raise
them, then you know that {wa' jIb} doesn't work for communicating the idea
of a single strand. The only way to learn Klingon is to use it. Did you
learn how to use a computer by cataloging each and every feature? Or did you
sit down in front of one and start typing?

[pause for answer]

Exactly....

If you are trying to document *everything* about the language, you are going
to drive yourself nuts, and learn nothing in the process. We don't know that
much about this language, so use it as *you* are comfortable using it. Write
a letter in Klingon, compose a story, translate some sentences and post them
to KLBC. If you screw up, you will be told about it. Promise. And you'll get
a much better feel for the language than all the analysis in the world can
give you.

Now, let's see some Klingon... }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian