tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 15 07:49:55 2004

Re: Frasier SoQ

> >  lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov [rap, ngoQ rap je] Danobpu'=
bogh.
> >  May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom, and purpose yo=
u have
> >  given mine. (Frasier)

lay'tel SIvten:
>Do you also have the beginning of this?  I listened to the recording at
>DloraH's site, and it starts out with something like
>
>   /p=F3'ok lodw=EDle k=F3'o hakh zhazh, cho k=F3-av m=F3akh./
>   ?{puqloDwI' le'qu', Hoch jaj choquvmoH.}?
>   (My dearest son, each day you redeem me.).

Here's what I have in my notes:

            FRASIER "Star Mitzvah" (11/05/2002 [NBC])

Frasier wants to say the blessing at his son's bar mitzvah in Hebrew.  No=
el=20
Shempsky (a Klingon-speaking trekker at the radio station) finds out and=20
offers to teach him the Hebrew if Frasier did him a favor:  There was a=20
STcon in the area and he wanted Scott Bakula's signature to make his set=20
complete. (Shempsky couldn't go himself because he had a restraining orde=
r=20
against him from William Shatner!) Frasier tried, but failed due to=20
traffic. Because Frasier didn't keep his word, Shempsky substituted the=20
Klingon words and, of course, Frasier didn't realize this.  He gives the=20
blessing. The rabbi, confused, says it was gibberish. A boy (named Berman=
!)=20
in the audience called out that it was Klingon! Later the boy translated =
it=20
for Frasier's son, revealing that it was a real blessing, just in the wro=
ng=20
language:

   "My dearest son, each day you redeem me. May your journey be filled
    with the same joy, wisdom, and purpose you have given mine."

Here are the closed captions from the episode:

    Pookh lod wih le koo
    Hach jahj cho-koov-moakh
    Leng-lidge lou-teb
    Jahj leng widge-vahd bel rahp
    Shoave dah-nobe-poo-boagh

Holtej reported that a friend of Marc Okrand told him that Okrand did=20
indeed translate the lines for the show.  Okrand also offered to coach th=
e=20
actors with pronunciation, but they declined.  Okrand writes about this=20
scene in HolQeD 11.4 (Dec. 2002) p. 11:

       The main difference between what aired and what I submitted, howev=
er,
    has nothing to do with transcription, but rather the absence of "purp=
ose."
    Somehow, somewhere in the process, four words got dropped. Had the fo=
ur
    words remained, Berman's translation would have matched what Frasier =
said,
    and Maltz would not have been so awed by Berman's skill.
       So not back to Maltz's challenge: He wants someone to give the spe=
ech
    "purpose," that is, to come up with four words, even if they're not t=
he
    same ones originally submitted, so that Berman's translation actually
    works. The words should come after Sov and before Danobpu'bogh.

Here is the reconstructed Klingon text, with the four missing words:

    puqloDwI' le'qu' - Hoch jaj choquvmoH.  lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD
    bel rap, Sov [rap, ngoQ rap je] Danobpu'bogh.

Finally, DloraH has the audio on his website:

    <http://www.frontiernet.net/~rhcheesbro/frasier.mp3>http://www.fronti=
ernet.net/~rhcheesbro/frasier.mp3=20

--=20
Voragh