tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 28 07:32:56 2004

Re: Word Definition

Se'noj:
> >Does anyone have any ideas for a way I could translate the word "Frontier"?
> >I'm trying to translate a cartain monologue, and got stuck for a word for
> >that...

De'vID:
>I know that "the final frontier" was translated as <veH Qav> "final boundary"
>somewhere.

{veH}  "boundary, frontier, barrier" (n.)

   jogh veH lungIv.
   They patrol the quadrant border. (KGT)

   veH Qav 'oH logh'e'.
   space--the final frontier (DS99)

   The KCD entry for {veQ} mentions that {veH} "boundary" carries no
   negative connotations at all.

>You could also try <HeH> "edge".

{HeH}  "edge, rim" (n.)

   loS...qIb HeHDaq
   It waits...on the edge of the galaxy  (DS99)

If by frontier you mean not the actual boundary line but the area in
general, use {Sep} "region" ("a specific area whose borders are definable,
by whatever means, is normally called a {Sep}" [KGT 16]) or even {retlh}
"area beside, next to, beside" -- both of which are even used in that same
SkyBox card:

   loS...qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He
   ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH.
   It waits...on the edge of the galaxy, beside a passage to
   unknown regions of the universe.  (DS99)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level