tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 27 05:31:42 2004

Re: core semantic case roles: agent, patient, focus

In a message dated 2004-05-26 11:58:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> For example:
>
>   ravDaq paq chagh puq
>
> Can you identify an agent here?  From your definitions, I'd guess that
> {puq} is "the entity responsible for the event".  But in this example, the
> next sentence is:
>
>   'e' raD Qel
>
> Now, unless I've missed something, the agent is {Qel}, since that's now the
> responsible entity.

Each verb has it's own subject and object.  The subjects of both {chagh} and
{raD} are agents, they are "responsible for the event".  {paq} is a patient.
It experiences the action of the verb {chagh} brought about by the agent
{puq}.  The pronoun {'e'} is also a patient.  The agent {Qel} is responsible for
the action of the verb {raD}, and the effect of that action is a new state or
change of state in the pronoun.

My main point for the whole post was to let others know how I use the words
that others were already using.  There seemed to be some confusion over some of
the meanings.  I hoped to clarify the issue somewhat.  Perhaps I failed.  I
still hope that at least others will understand what I mean when I use the
terms.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level