tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 26 20:18:29 2004

Re: core semantic case roles: agent, patient, focus

From: <[email protected]>

> In a message dated 2004-05-26 2:23:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> > .  There is no basis on which to claim that {-ta'} or {-lI'}
> > can only be used on action verbs.
> >

> If he doesn't claim that, how does he use them?  {-lI'} has NEVER been
used
> in an example, according to one recent post here.
> lay'tel SIvten

TKD gives two examples: {chollI'} "it is getting closer" and {vIlI'lI'} "I
am transmitting (the data)" (p. 42).  I'm not aware of any other examples,
but I haven't got a complete database of canon.

Two examples in the very section that explains the suffix isn't much to go
on.  The suffix *is* used by Klingons - otherwise there wouldn't be a
section describing it.  It simply hasn't been used in any of the examples
*we've* seen.

jIDoy'lI'!

SuStel
Stardate 4402.8

P.S.: Here's a word I came up with once that's sure to send shivers down the
spines of some people: {yInenta'} "Grow up already!"  (Yep, we now know that
should be {yInen'eghmoHta'}.

Back to archive top level