tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 27 06:05:51 2004

Re: core semantic case roles: agent, patient, focus

In a message dated 2004-05-26 11:58:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> .  What's the patient of
> the verb {tagh}?  The agent of {meQ}?  How about {pegh}?

By the way, not all verbs have patients.

The subject of {tagh} ('begin a process, initiate proceedings') is an agent,
and the object is a patient.

{meQ} ('burn') is ambiguous.  I would like it to mean the intransitive
"burn", ("The paper is burning") because then the transitive meaning would be
{meQmoH}.  If it's intransitive, then its subject is a patient.  If {meQ} is a
transitive verb, then its subject is an agent and the object is a patient.  In
either case, the thing being comsumed by flames is a patient.  On CK {meQ} is used
adjectivally to mean "burnt", so the verb would mean "be burnt" and it would
be also a verb of quality, with a patient as subject.

CK: [Klingon female:] "Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals."
[Marc Okrand] {Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' tIv tera'nganpu'.}

This verb is also discussed in HolQeD v12n2p4.

{pegh} is also ambiguous, because it has two different definitions.  "Be
secret" (from CK and PK) is a quality/state verb.  Its subject is a patient.
"Keep something secret" (from TKD) is an action verb and its subject is an agent
and its object is a patient.  With either meaning of {pegh} the thing that is
secret is a patient.

CK: "That is classified information."
 {pegh De'vetlh.}

PK: [Klingon male:] "I have secret information, you will find it useful. We
will talk after dinner."
[Marc Okrand:] {De' pegh vIghaj. lI', 'e' Datu'. 'uQ vISoppu'DI' maja'chuq.}

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level