tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 26 17:26:34 2004

Re: Possessive style

From: "Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan" <[email protected]>
> SuStel is correct that I was not asking about whether leaving out an
> obvious possessive would be understood, but rather, would it sound odd?
> But it's not canon I want to examine.  It is common usage among earthly
> Klingon speakers.  Sure it would be great to have Okrand tell us what
> Klingons would consider good style, but there are much more important
> questions to answer first.  No, what I'm trying to ask is for some of
> the more fluent speakers to comment on their own personal style.  Do you
> think it sounds incomplete to leave off the possessive if the possession
> is obvious?  Or does it sound cumbersome or redundant to include it when
> it is already known?

If you're going to ignore canon and the Klingon way of doing it, then each
person will simply use his own native sense to determine what he would
choose.  If you know a person's native language and how it operates in this
regard, you have likely identified his answer to your question.

SuStel
Stardate 4402.5

Back to archive top level