tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 26 16:33:34 2004

RE: Possessive style

Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan ([email protected])

Jeremy:
> > > I have a stylistic question.  Should one use the possessive when
the
> > > possession is obvious?

ngabwI':
> > Everybody's probably sick of hearing this, but context needs to
guide
> > this usage.

SuStel:
> Context doesn't answer Jeremy's question.  He's asking whether it's
good style to include
> redundant possessives, not whether he's understood.  Your first
comment, that we don't have
> a Klingon manual of style, was right on the money.  In order to really
answer the question,
> an analysis of the canon is in order.

SuStel is correct that I was not asking about whether leaving out an
obvious possessive would be understood, but rather, would it sound odd?
But it's not canon I want to examine.  It is common usage among earthly
Klingon speakers.  Sure it would be great to have Okrand tell us what
Klingons would consider good style, but there are much more important
questions to answer first.  No, what I'm trying to ask is for some of
the more fluent speakers to comment on their own personal style.  Do you
think it sounds incomplete to leave off the possessive if the possession
is obvious?  Or does it sound cumbersome or redundant to include it when
it is already known?

Jeremy

Back to archive top level