tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 26 16:58:23 2004

Re: Possessive style

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Jeremy DM Cowan" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 7:32 PM
Subject: RE: Possessive style

> SuStel is correct that I was not asking about whether leaving out an
> obvious possessive would be understood, but rather, would it sound odd?

{HIvqa' veqlargh!} Now that I read my own words again, I didn't answer the
question.

> But it's not canon I want to examine.  It is common usage among earthly
> Klingon speakers.  Sure it would be great to have Okrand tell us what
> Klingons would consider good style, but there are much more important
> questions to answer first.  No, what I'm trying to ask is for some of
> the more fluent speakers to comment on their own personal style.

OK, I get it now. I tend to view something like:

{QongDaqDaq 'oHtaH wepDaj'e'. wepDaj tlhap, 'ej mej.}

As a tad redundant. We're already speaking of *his* coat. I see no reason to
repeat the possessive.

(I think I got it right this time.)

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,