tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 15 04:34:39 2004

Re: Verba Volant 14-MAY-2004

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' jabbI'ID qoq:

>German - Die Strafe hat den Zweck, den zu bessern, welcher straft
>English - the function of punishment is to improve the punisher

ghItlhpu' Voragh:

>I really wanted to use the noun+noun phrase {bIj ngoQ} "punishment's
>goal/purpose" - yes, there's a noun {bIj} "punishment" in addition to the
>homonymous verb {bIj} (plus the synonym {Hup} [v.]) - but I couldn't figure
>out how to link it with the purpose clause {bIjwI' DubmeH} "in order to
>improve the punisher".  Using {'oH} feels wrong:

This is one of very few instances where I am tempted to use a noun with
{-ghach}, viz:

bIjwI'vaD DubchoHghachDaj 'oH bIj ngoQ'e'

or maybe the simpler

bIjwI' DubchoHghach 'oH bIj ngoQ'e'

While it's not very neat (and most of you already know my attitude towards
{-ghach} nouns), this just rings well with me: "For the punisher's benefit,
the goal of punishment is his/her beginning of improvement" or "Punishment's
goal is the beginning of improvement in the punisher", if you like. There's
something about {DubchoHghach} here that I really like, but can't describe.

Other than this, Voragh's {bIjwI' DubmeH bIjlu'} also works for me. It's a
damn sight more concise than mine is, too. {{:D Another idea: {bIjwI' DubmeH
Qu' 'oH bIj Qu''e'} "The mission of punishment is the mission of improving
the punisher".

Savan.

QeS lagh

Find love today with ninemsn personals. Click here:
http://ninemsn.match.com?referrer=hotmailtagline

Back to archive top level