tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 14 09:25:57 2004

Re: Verba Volant 14-MAY-2004

>>Verba Volant 14-MAY-2004,
>>Every day a new quotation translated into many languages.

~mark:
>{This is plainly some sort of spam, but I decided to let it through anyway,
>since it might be of interest and spark discussions regarding Klingon
>translations.

This is a good idea!  How about sending more through to spark some discussion?

>>Quotation of the day:
>>Author - Friedrich  Nietzsche
>>
>>German - Die Strafe hat den Zweck, den zu bessern, welcher straft
>>English - the function of punishment is to improve the punisher

I really wanted to use the noun+noun phrase {bIj ngoQ} "punishment's
goal/purpose" - yes, there's a noun {bIj} "punishment" in addition to the
homonymous verb {bIj} (plus the synonym {Hup} [v.]) - but I couldn't figure
out how to link it with the purpose clause {bIjwI' DubmeH} "in order to
improve the punisher".  Using {'oH} feels wrong:

   * bIjwI' DubmeH 'oH bIj ngoQ'e'.
     "the goal of punishment is to improve the punisher"

since the predicate in an equational sentence has to be another noun.  I
finally came up with the more  concise:

   bIjwI' DubmeH bIjlu'.
   "One punishes (in order) to improve the punisher."

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level