tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 13 14:12:17 2004

Re: pIv puqwI'

janSIy:
> >>Sochben ghaH puqloD'e'

"he was my son seven years ago"

> >>wejwen 'uSDaj ghor

lay'tel SIvten:
> >1 ?my son is seven years old
> >2 three months ago he broke his leg

De'vID:
>I don't know if what he wrote is (un)grammatical, but I think
>the proper way to express an age is something like:
><Soch ben boghpu' puqloDDaj>.

Correct:  "his son was born seven years ago"

Okrand wrote on startrek.klingon how to give one's age:

   "I am 40 years old" would be expressed as: {loSmaH ben jIboghpu'}.
   This is "I was born 40 years ago." As is normal in Klingon sentences,
   the time element (in this case, {loSmaH ben} "40 years ago") comes
   first.

Since {ben} is a noun, you can also include {Soch ben} as part of a longer
noun phrase, as in:

   cha'vatlh ben HIq vItlhutlh
   I will drink Two Century Old Ale. PK

Thus, janSIy could have combined lines 1-2 into:

   wejwen 'uSDaj ghorpu' Sochben puqloDwI'.
   Three months ago, my seven-year-old son broke his leg.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level