tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 13 10:04:44 2004

RE: jIqeq

d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Steven Boozer wrote:

> Note: {jeS} is "participate" not "participate IN", so you'll need to
> use {-Daq}.

ghargh ngaSwI' vIpoSmoH vIneHbe', 'ach...

There's no evidence either way.  For me, the meaning of "in a meeting" and
"in a room" is different.  In English, we'd say "I participate in a meeting
in a room."  But the first "in" feels like a particle, as in "participate
in," wherease the second one feels like a preposition, as in "in a room."  I
don't see a meeting as a physical location where I do something in, like
participate.

Maybe this is an English-speaker bias, but saying {qepDaq jIjeS} just
doesn't feel right to me.  OTOH, strictly speaking, {qep vIjeS} "I
participate the meeting" feels wrong too.  To accept this, one has to
believe without evidence that {jeS} includes the meaning of "in."  Perhaps
{pa'Daq qep vIjeS} is right.  I wouldn't criticize anyone for either choice,
but perhaps the best course is, as you suggest, to recast without it.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level