tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 11 13:46:57 2004

Re: an answer which is no answer

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' qurgh:

>I know exactly what you mean. I use the phrases "in order to" and "due to"
>a lot
>more than I ever used to do. I even asked for "something that I drink" the
>other
>day.. :)

I hear you. {{:) "In order to" is something that's very much crept into my
own speech as a result of Klingon. Occasionally I even find myself lapsing
into OVS word order in English, and that can get a bit bizarre. Sometimes I
have to catch myself before I look too big a fool: "The computer; turn it
off!" {{:D

But my personal {veqlargh} is the indefinite subject. All the time now, I
say things like "one gets the feeling...", "one understands..." as a result
of the {-lu'} suffix. {{:S

That might be an interesting subject for a HolQeD article. It'd be
interesting to see how the native languages of the better Klingon-speakers
are affected by aspects of Klingon. Some speakers of very high levels of
ability, I've noticed, use a lot of imperative sentences in English - that's
a very Klingon thing to do.

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level