tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 07 06:19:56 2004

Re: KLBC {X-Hom X X-'a'}

From: "Scott Willis" <[email protected]>
>    Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'. beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH
>    latlh tlhInganpu'.
>    The eyes of the fallen Klingon are opened and others [Klingons] roar
>    in a great crescendo.  (S31)
>
> I, personally, would shy away from it. This construct practically screams
> for a {je} at the end, which would make them collectively plural, and fits
> in with the grammar of the sentence. So I suspect it's a canon error.

Oh no.  {beyHom bey bey'a'} is translated as "great crescendo," not as
something made up of three kinds of shouts.  This is no error.  Neither is
it a formation that must necessarily be usable willy-nilly.  We don't have
enough data.  But there is absolutely no question in my mind that Okrand
deliberately wrote it this way.

SuStel
Stardate 4349.2

Back to archive top level