tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 07 06:10:59 2004

Re: KLBC {X-Hom X X-'a'}

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' ngabwI':

>As for the first part of your question ("would {HIvje'Hom HIvje' HIvje''a'}
>work?") I would have to go with the usual answer, {maSovchu'be'}.

qay'be'; qatlho'.

>I, personally, would shy away from it. This construct practically screams
>for a {je} at the end, which would make them collectively plural, and fits
>in with the grammar of the sentence. So I suspect it's a canon error.

I find that's where I've been having my problems of late. Having basically
assimilated all the other grammar, I've started going deeper into actual
Klingon text, and when I find {taQwI'mey} like this, I find myself asking
questions about how much we can expand on things like this. It rarely occurs
to me that *nobody* might know. {{:S

>That being said, I would not correct you if you used {HIvje'Hom HIvje'
>HIvje''a'}. Bottom line is, you have canon to back it up. And it would seem
>to me that if you accept this as "legitimate" (e.g. non-error) canon,
>{HIvje'Hom HIvje' HIvje''a'} would certainly be allowed.

Like {Dajatlhbogh vIyajlaHbe'}? {{:P Thanks for answering anyway.

Umm... I just had a thought. Conjoined verbs may be interpreted as a
sequence, IIRC; there's a sentence in TKW, {bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj,
Hegh} "Klingons are born, live as warriors, then die" (p.5) that shows this.
Might conjoined nouns provide a similar sort of sequence? Thus, ??{verengan
Human tlhIngan HoH} "He kills a Ferengi, a human, then a Klingon". Now, I'm
not saying I'd ever use that structure (nor recommend that it be used), but
the grammar and translation of {beyHom bey bey'a'} does seem to indicate a
sequence to me, and it gives us a framework to interpret the thing. It's
just idle speculation, so don't fire your disruptors yet. {{:D

Savan.

QeS lagh

Impossible is not a  fact, it's an opinion. Have your say! Check out the
inspiring stories at   http://www.adidas.com.au/impossible  We dare you.

Back to archive top level