tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 30 22:03:16 2004

Re: Using object prefixes with "intransitive" verbs

Dar'Qang ([email protected])

At 09:08 AM 3/30/2004, SuStel wrote:
>From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>
>
> > At 12:48 PM 3/29/2004, SuStel wrote:
> >
> > >DujDaq jIjaH.
> > >I go (somewhere unspecified) on the ship.
> > >
> > >DujDaq yuQ vIjaH.
> > >I go to the planet on the ship.
> > >

> > I know there is the verb {vegh},  but can the concept above also be
> > generalized to 'through' or 'via' such as in the following?
>
>Don't generalize.

But I *must* generalize.  Otherwise, all I have are two sentences that
might be handy on a ship.  }}:-)

I'm not interested in generalizing to a novel or unconventional usage,
just interested in generalizing the examples into the concept that's being
presented
using the examples.

>   There have been a lot of people here wanting to
>generalize lately, but the correct thing to do is to construct a sentence
>that means what you want it to mean, according to what we know.

Right.  Generalize might have been a poor word choice, I'm trying to figure out
what we know.

> > lojmItDaq jI'el.
> > I enter through the door.
> >
> > lojmItDaq pa' vI'el.
> > I enter the room through he door.
>
>You don't need generalizations to work these out.  "In/at/on the door I
>enter the room."  Because "entering" typically involves going from one area
>to another, "through" is not much of a stretch.  But the construction
>doesn't mean "through."  It's just one likely interpretation.
>
>Since you know about {vegh}, use it!
>
>lojmIt vIvegh; pa' vI'el.
>I enter the room through the door.

I typed 'through', but really meant 'via'.  I was looking for how much of a
sense of
'via' is created using -Daq with verbs of motion.  These sentences were
just examples.
I'm a little hesitant to go too strictly by 'in/at/on' because of the
idiomatic nature
of prepositions.

perhaps another example:

jolDaq pa' vI'el.

There's likely no formula, but it's useful to know if examples such as
these strike
an expert Klingonist as better re-phrased.

Dar'Qang
bItaghbe'chugh bIrInbe'ba'

Back to archive top level